Saturday, June 25, 2011

Artist #11: Hayao Miyazaki


Known as the Japanese Walt Disney, Hayao Miyazaki is a master animator. In my humble opinion, he's possibly the greatest animator alive. Over 50 years of work and Hayao Miyazaki has become an internationally recognized artist for his feature films. He began his career by working for Toei Animation and doing various other jobs in the industry. In 1979 he released his first feature film, Lupin III: Castle of Caliostro, that he directed. After the success of Nausicaa of the Vally of the Wind, he formed Studio Ghibli along with his long time friend and colleague, Isao Takahata (director of Grave of the Fireflies aka an amazing movie that you should see). Since then forming of Studio Ghibli, Hayao Miyazaki has produced, directed and animated many films and tries to stay as in touch with the entire animation process as possible. Miyazaki is also well known for creating many of his films in the classical animation process of hand drawn and water colored images.
Hayao Miyazaki has many recurring themes in his films. One of these themes is that of the relationship between humans and nature. He also tends to have non-traditional villains who show both positive and negative attributes. Miyazaki often has female protagonists who are, or become, strong and independent young ladies.
From the first film by Miyazaki that I saw (Princess Mononoke) to his most recent film (Ponyo) I have become a serious fan and own the majority of his films. What I love most about Hayao Miyazaki's work is his animation style and characters that seem so realistic and thoughtfully created. I've also done cosplays of some of the characters from his films. ^_^
I'll just show some of the movie art from my favorite films (Photo Credits to IMDB.com) and cosplays I've done (Yes, I do cosplay. Yes, I sewed all of the outfits that you see.).





 

No comments:

Post a Comment